Learn More About the Challenge
The Walk for Wellness Challenge is based on two important facts:
- Most adults spend over half their waking hours at work.
- Walking is the number one activity among Canadians.
The Walk for Wellness Challenge is a pedometer-based workplace wellness program, designed to help your workplace add more physical activity and healthy eating to their day. The Challenge can start any time of the year (although certain times may work better for your workplace), and the Challenge can run anywhere from 5 – 12 weeks, and is set up so that teams encourage each other to walk their way to a more active and healthier lifestyle. Participants track their daily activities (steps & “other” activities) and intake of vegetables and fruit.
The Challenge is designed to measure improvement, so regardless of previous fitness levels or abilities, everyone can participate and be successful in the Challenge.
The Challenge can be run in a computerized or non-computerized workplace, just as long as the Challenge Coordinator has access to the online site.
The Challenge is easy to take part in! Here’s how it works...
- Register individually, or as part of a workplace/group Challenge
- Get a pedometer.
- Record how many steps you take each day by wearing your pedometer or odometer.
- Record amount of ‘other’ activity (e.g., swimming, yoga, etc.) you do each day and use the Activity Converter to calculate approximate steps for that activity.
- Track the number of vegetables & fruit you eat each day (your Daily 7). Serving sizes are based on Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide.
- Enter your daily totals for vegetables & fruit, pedometer steps and other activities into your Physical Activity & Healthy Eating online tracker (or submit to your Team Captain to enter)
- The Challenge is set up to reward participants for making consistent increases of 10% or better in their physical activity level and for maintaining their Daily 7.
- Bonus points are awarded for participants that make 10% increases each & every week, remaining above 10,000 steps for the duration of the Challenge, and for those that maintain their Daily 7 for the entire Challenge!
Tools and resources such as posters, templates, tips, tracking sheets and an online tracking system have been created to make this Challenge easy for your workplace!
The Walk for Wellness Challenge – improving the health of your workplace, one step & veggie at a time!